Visa Information

Visas & Work Permits

A work permit is not usually required if:

  • You, your spouse or child are an Irish or other EEA national (the EEA comprises the European Union, together with Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein)
  • You are a postgraduate student with temporary registration and have come to Ireland to carry out related work

However, if you do not fit into either of the above categories, you will need a work permit. An application for a work permit can be made by either the employer or the employee. The following documentation must be supplied:

  • A fully completed new employment permit application form signed by both the employer and the employee
  • Documentary evidence that a labour market needs test has been undertaken for the vacancy
  • Documentary evidence of the employee’s certified qualifications
  • The appropriate processing fee paid for by the applicant

A copy of the registration with the appropriate medical body or validation of qualifications from the Department of Health and Children should also be attached.

Note: Your passport must be in date and valid for at least three months after the proposed expiry date of the work permit.

Finally, remember that some nationalities need entry visas in addition to work permits. An entry visa entitles the holder to enter the country, not to work. To check if you need an entry visa email or contact us.

Should you wish to only work as a Locum doctor you can apply for an ATYPICAL Visa. PE Global Locum Express would be your nominated host allowing you to work in Ireland as a Locum for a period of six months.

For further information on how to apply please follow the link below.

Atypical Working Scheme Guidelines

The Department of Justice and Equality (Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service - INIS) in agreement with the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation, administers the Atypical Working Scheme. The purpose of the Scheme is to provide a streamlined mechanism to deal with atypical, short term employment or certain other employment situations which are not governed by the Employment Permits Acts or by current administrative procedures under the Employment Permits Acts.

It was also agreed with the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation, the Department of Health and the HSE that the Scheme should include locum doctors who are employed and paid by an Agency and nurses / midwives who are undertaking the Clinical Adaptation and Assessment Programme or RCSI Examination.